The hard white fat on the kidneys and loins of cattle, sheep, and other animals, used to make foods such as puddings, pastry, and mincemeat: [as modifier]: suet dumplings
More example sentences
- In a large mixing bowl, mix together the flour, suet and coriander, and add enough cold water to form a soft dough.
- Standard ingredients are flour, breadcrumbs, suet, dried fruit, eggs, treacle, spices, sugar, and milk, with a raising agent and often with some apple or carrot.
- However, instead of suggesting his film star friends stick to their egg-white omelettes and leave his suet pastry crusts alone, Roddam decided to do something completely different.
- Example sentences
- If you lunch in a Pall Mall club, you will find the menu degenerating, as it reaches the sweet course, into nursery food - bread and butter pudding, jam roll and custard, suety lumps covered with treacle - and you can almost hear nanny's voice ordering you to eat it all up.
- Described on the menu as ‘not seasonal, just substantial’, the pudding's chunked meat was captured in a thick, suety pastry that soaked up the accompanying jug of gravy faster than Tarquin at the bar was sucking up the Bells.
- ‘I try to make them picture-perfect,’ Ken Stevens said, and they were: row upon row of 12-day-aged top sirloins, Tbones, rib eyes and porterhouses, blood-red and juicy, their suety white edges trimmed just so, with flecks and veins of marbled fat guaranteeing the locked-in flavor that is one of the most famous of American tastes.
Words that rhyme with suetbluet, cruet, intuit, Yuit
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: suet
Definition of suet in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.