Definition of sufferance in English:
1Absence of objection rather than genuine approval; toleration: Charles was only here on sufferance
More example sentences
- Bulgaria claims to want foreign investment, but makes residents aliens feel as though they are here on sufferance rather than making an addition to the country's depleted population and being good consumers.
- Visitors to some of the more offbeat historic houses can sometimes get the impression that they are there on sufferance, rather than being truly welcomed.
- Refugees still entered Britain after that, but on sufferance, rather than as a right.
1.1 Law The condition of the holder of an estate who continues to hold it after the title has ceased, without the express permission of the owner: an estate at sufferance
More example sentences
- At common law the tenant at sufferance was in a very precarious position, because the landlord was able to recover possession of the premises, even by force.
- A tenancy on sufferance is not a true tenancy and there is no agreement which would come within the section.
- This lesson in landlord-tenant law addresses the tenancy at sufferance, also known as the estate at sufferance.
1.2 archaic Patient endurance.
- Novelty by its nature is a limited sentiment and Inverness must already regard their new environment with wearisome sufferance.
- But, I submit to you that not only is blood required, but so are dedication, common sense, frugality, honor and sufferance, to name a few.
2 archaic The suffering or undergoing of something bad or unpleasant.
- My appreciation of lone living is borne of great sufferance.
- For sufferance now will be rewarded greatly in the Reconciliation.
- The only solution she seems to find for making her sufferance end is death, even though she is pregnant and has a child who simply adores her.
Words that rhyme with sufferancecircumference
Definition of sufferance in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan