- 1A straw rope.More example sentences
- One end of the net was fastened on the shore, and stretched straight-out and fastened with a sugan or cable made out of hay, or straw, or gads.
- In this case the haystacks in the background were tied with sugans and a T.V.O. Ferguson tractor which was recognised as one of the first of its kind in the area, thus dating the photograph to the 1930's.
- There can still be seen in Glencolumbkille examples of vernacular architecture, notably in the surviving thatched cottages, with their particular feature of the rounded roof, the thatch being held down by a network of ropes (sugans) spaced over it and fastened to pins beneath the eaves and on the gables.
- 1.1 (also sugan chair) A chair with a seat made from woven straw ropes.More example sentences
- This pub dates back to 1887 and is an old world pub with big open fires, sugan chairs etc.
- We largely deal in country furniture offering a range of pine and oak furniture such as large chests and blanket boxes, pine dressers, original sugan chairs and chest of drawers.
- The seven-foot lintel stone and hearth in the kitchen were exposed, and the original table, cupboard, and sugan chairs are still in use.
late 17th century: from Irish súgán.