1A southern African songbird with a long, fine bill and very long tail, feeding on nectar and insects.
- Genus Promerops, family Promeropidae (or Meliphagidae): two species
More example sentences
- The recent discovery of blood parasites in South African sugarbirds, identical to those present in Australian honey-eaters and never previously recorded on the African continent, was revolutionary.
- And if the poison is killing sugarbirds, it will kill sunbirds and any other pollinators such as insects.
- A single sugarbird can visit and potentially pollinate as many as 300 protea flowers in one day.
Definition of sugarbird in:
- The US English dictionary