- 1Containing much sugar: energy-restoring, sugary drinksMore example sentences
- The Food Standards Agency said adverts for fast food outlets and sugary drinks are fuelling childhood obesity and sowing the seeds for future ill-health.
- Compared to the average American diet, DASH is substantially lower in saturated fat, total fat and cholesterol, with fewer sweets, sugary drinks and red meat.
- In addition, children from families who eat a lot of sugary foods and drink sweet liquids, who have a lot of cavities, and who do not go to the dentist very often are at risk for cavities.
- 1.1Resembling or coated in sugar: a sugary textureMore example sentences
- For the last few years, during Keweenaw Week in August, the mine dump has been bulldozed for collectors, who have recovered a number of white to pink datolite nodules, many with a sugary texture.
- Pan-toasting the raisins gives them a unique crusty, sugary texture; if using dried currants, skip step 1.
- They suddenly appeared in antique shops in England in the 1970s; of a grainy, sugary texture, they probably come from Murano.
- 2Excessively sentimental: sugary romanceMore example sentences
- Before you turn the page, wondering why I've chosen such a dreadful piece of sugary sentimentalism for this week's painting, give Greuze's grieving girl a second glance.
- But there has been a feeling among some that he may have allowed sugary sentiment to cloud his judgment about players' grumbles over their guidance.
- You're very into the sensitive, sugary stuff that sentiments are made of.
- More example sentences
- The sugariness of the potato mingled quite comfortably with the fresh shrimp, and overall this was a memorable dish that worked the sweet/salty crossover with style.
- There's a moistness to the cake and a welcome salty edge to the marzipan that cuts through the sugariness.
- Floral and herbal notes lingered on the finish, reminiscent of a fine Japanese green tea, alongside a sugariness closer to refined sugar or syrup rather than the usual caramel/toffee flavour.