(also sulfuric acid)
- A strong acid made by oxidizing solutions of sulphur dioxide and used in large quantities as an industrial and laboratory reagent. The concentrated form is an oily, dense, corrosive liquid.
More example sentences
- Chemical formula: H2SO4
- If the alcohol (with the exception of methanol) is heated with aluminum oxide, phosphoric acid or excess sulphuric acid, an alkene is formed along with a molecule of water.
- The pair had been polishing off rough edges of metal from the inside of the stainless steel cylinder using an electro-plating process of pumping electricity through a solution of sulphuric acid and phosphoric acid.
- Oxidizing acids such as nitric acid or strong sulphuric acid cannot be handled with copper alloys.
See sulphur (usage).
More definitions of sulphuric acidDefinition of sulphuric acid in:
- The US English dictionary