Definition of sultan in English:
1A Muslim sovereign.
- Balian did in fact play a crucial role as a Crusader noble in the events surrounding the fall of Jerusalem in 1187 to the Muslim sultan Saladin.
- This is a deeply moving drama in which the wise Nathan acts as a mediator between Saladin, the Muslim sultan, and Conrad, an intemperate templar knight.
- By the end of the twelfth century, Muslim sultans had come to ascendancy in Gujarat, marking the onset of many centuries of Islamic power in the region - and the end of the glory days of the Hindu stepwell.
1.1 (the Sultan) historical The sultan of Turkey.
- In June, the Sultan had an Assassin try to murder Prince Edward.
- Now, though, the Caliph was under the thumb of a new power: the Turk who ruled in the name of the Caliph took the title of Sultan.
- The third disc features the film Abul the Damned, a feature length thriller set in turn of the century Turkey, with Fritz Kortner playing the sultan of Turkey.
2A bird of a breed of white domestic chicken from Turkey.
- The chicken breed called Sultan, are a very old breed, which originated in Southeastern Europe.
- Sultans are noted for their long, hard feathers that grow from the thigh area.
- Another very attractive chicken is the Sultan, which is one of the feather-footed breeds.
- Example sentences
- The Muslim settlers didn't just bring their religion and architecture, however - they also brought their political system, establishing a series of sultanates in the southern Philippines.
- In many respects the government has allowed the northern sultanates to apply their own laws in their dominions, and in return the leaders of these ministates lend their support to national governmental structures.
- A domino effect might also claim oil-rich sultanates such as Kuwait and the United Arab Emirates, taking out another 15 per cent of those reserves.
Definition of sultan in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia