Definition of sumo in English:
noun (plural sumos)
1 (also sumo wrestling) [mass noun] A Japanese form of heavyweight wrestling, in which a wrestler wins a bout by forcing his opponent outside a marked circle or by making him touch the ground with any part of his body except the soles of his feet.
- Many of the old and traditional art forms like for instance Japanese sumo wrestling could remain their popularity until our days.
- It used to be that retiring Japanese sumo wrestling champions stayed in the sport after peaking in the ring.
- The prime minister also told the emperor that sumo has become a craze in his country, and the Japanese sumo wrestlers are well known, the palace officials said.
1.1 (also sumo wrestler) [count noun] A person who takes part in sumo wrestling.
- Traditionally, the sumos ate lots of food before bed and even in the middle of the night to gain flab, not muscle.
- It's odd to see Ellis and Glover lined up with two hands on the ground, legs spread and feet even, more like sumos than sprinters.
- There's a crazy neighbour that runs around dressed more as a sumo than a samurai.
late 19th century: from Japanese sūmo.