Definition of sumo in English:
noun (plural sumos)
1 (also sumo wrestling) [mass noun] A Japanese form of heavyweight wrestling, in which a wrestler wins a bout by forcing his opponent outside a marked circle or by making him touch the ground with any part of his body except the soles of his feet.
- Many of the old and traditional art forms like for instance Japanese sumo wrestling could remain their popularity until our days.
- It used to be that retiring Japanese sumo wrestling champions stayed in the sport after peaking in the ring.
- The prime minister also told the emperor that sumo has become a craze in his country, and the Japanese sumo wrestlers are well known, the palace officials said.
1.1 (also sumo wrestler) [count noun] A person who takes part in sumo wrestling.
- Traditionally, the sumos ate lots of food before bed and even in the middle of the night to gain flab, not muscle.
- It's odd to see Ellis and Glover lined up with two hands on the ground, legs spread and feet even, more like sumos than sprinters.
- There's a crazy neighbour that runs around dressed more as a sumo than a samurai.
Late 19th century: from Japanese sūmo.
Words that rhyme with sumoProfumo
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.