- A pack animal: [as modifier]: a sumpter muleMore example sentences
- Geldings, coach horses, close carr horses, litter horses and sumpter horses sent expressly for the use of the royal party were allowed 2s per day.
- A team of sumpter horses (pack horses), each one in the care of its own sumpterrnan, riding his own horse, was sent up to carry the queen's baggage.
- They comprised geldings and nags, sumpter horses, teams for coaches, the litter and three carts, as well as some hired post horses.
Middle English: from Old French sommetier, via late Latin from Greek sagma, sagmat- 'packsaddle'; compare with summer2.
More definitions of sumpterDefinition of sumpter in:
- The US English dictionary