- Reddening, inflammation, and, in severe cases, blistering and peeling of the skin caused by overexposure to the ultraviolet rays of the sun: my hands and face were raw with sunburn [count noun]: the sunburns on them stopped halfway up their foreheadsMore example sentences
- For example, a severe sunburn with peeling skin shows p53 in action causing programmed cell death of the skin.
- Severe sunburn can cause red, sore, tender areas with blistering and peeling.
- Sun exposure in childhood and having more than one blistering sunburn in childhood are associated with an increased risk of melanoma.
verb (sunburns, sunburning, past and past participle sunburned or sunburnt)(be (or get) sunburned) Back to top
- 1Suffer from sunburn: most of us managed to get sunburntMore example sentences
- I was beginning to feel that the back of my legs were sunburned.
- If you should become sunburned, prevent further exposure and apply a moisturizing lotion; aspirin or acetaminophen may be given for pain.
- The weather at Easter on the coast, despite forecasts of rain, was hot and sunny, and I managed to get seriously sunburned whilst snorkelling, despite applying huge amounts of sun tan lotion.
- 1.1 (as adjective sunburned or sunburnt) Tanned; brown from exposure to the sun: a handsome sunburned faceMore example sentences
- You can determine the direction of the grain by locating the brown, sunburned side of the hole (due to the exposed roots) and know the grass is growing in that direction.
- After telling my story of the previous day and evening and throwing the empty vodka bottle in the trash, a very sunburned Debbie and I, headed out to dinner at the Rockdell.
- He returned after some time, with a sunburned face.
- 1.2 [no object] Suffer from sunburn: a complexion that sunburnt easilyMore example sentences
- We do know that adults with light skin, light colored hair and eyes, and those who sunburn easily are most likely to get skin cancer.
- Sitting on the beach, on the north end of Monterosso, we all start to sunburn like Brits on holiday.
- It is common in people who have red hair and in those who sunburn.
More definitions of sunburnDefinition of sunburn in:
- The US English dictionary