noun (plural same or sunfishes)
1A large deep-bodied marine fish of warm seas, with tall dorsal and anal fins near the rear of the body and a very short tail. Also called mola.
- Family Molidae: three genera and several species, in particular the very large ocean sunfish (Mola mola)
- Covered in sandpapery skin smeared with copious amounts of mucus, the Mola mola, or giant ocean sunfish, grows up to 10 feet long and can weigh over 5,000 pounds.
- They're Mola mola, or giant ocean sunfish, gentle creatures named for their habit of lying at the ocean surface, appearing to sunbathe.
- Found in all tropical and temperate oceans, the Mola mola, or giant ocean sunfish, eats mainly jellyfish.
2A nest-building freshwater fish that is native to North America and popular in aquaria, e.g. the pumpkinseed.
- Several genera and species in the family Centrarchidae (the sunfish family). This family also includes sporting fish such as the black basses, rock bass, bluegill, and crappies
- Panfish comprise the black crappie, bluegill, green sunfish, pumpkinseed, rock bass, white crappie, and yellow perch.
- Out back of the house, oak, hemlock and cedar trees crown a path toward a 30-acre lake stocked with largemouth bass, yellow perch, pumpkinseed sunfish, and more.
- The example she gives is the bluegill sunfish of North America, where a dominant male will recruit a smaller, feminine male - so-called because he sports female colors - in what looks like a homosexual courtship.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: sun|fish
Definition of sunfish in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.