Definition of sunfish in English:
noun (plural same or sunfishes)
1A large deep-bodied marine fish of warm seas, with tall dorsal and anal fins near the rear of the body and a very short tail. Also called mola.
- Family Molidae: three genera and several species, in particular the very large ocean sunfish (Mola mola)
- Covered in sandpapery skin smeared with copious amounts of mucus, the Mola mola, or giant ocean sunfish, grows up to 10 feet long and can weigh over 5,000 pounds.
- They're Mola mola, or giant ocean sunfish, gentle creatures named for their habit of lying at the ocean surface, appearing to sunbathe.
- Found in all tropical and temperate oceans, the Mola mola, or giant ocean sunfish, eats mainly jellyfish.
2A nest-building freshwater fish that is native to North America and popular in aquaria, e.g. the pumpkinseed.
- Several genera and species in the family Centrarchidae (the sunfish family). This family also includes sporting fish such as the black basses, rock bass, bluegill, and crappies
- Panfish comprise the black crappie, bluegill, green sunfish, pumpkinseed, rock bass, white crappie, and yellow perch.
- Out back of the house, oak, hemlock and cedar trees crown a path toward a 30-acre lake stocked with largemouth bass, yellow perch, pumpkinseed sunfish, and more.
- The example she gives is the bluegill sunfish of North America, where a dominant male will recruit a smaller, feminine male - so-called because he sports female colors - in what looks like a homosexual courtship.
Definition of sunfish in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan