A tall North American plant of the daisy family, with very large golden-rayed flowers. Sunflowers are cultivated for their edible seeds, which are an important source of oil for cooking and margarine.
- Helianthus annus, family Compositae
More example sentences
- And a farmer would find that planting peas before sunflowers promises the highest sunflower yield - 1,490 pounds an acre.
- Other crops include alfalfa, wheat, grapes, sunflowers, safflower, and walnuts.
- The owner clearly knows what she likes for she has given the entire space over to two species planted in tubs, sunflowers and tomatoes.
More definitions of sunflowerDefinition of sunflower in:
- The US English dictionary