- A grebe-like tropical American waterbird of the finfoot family, with a striped head and black-spotted yellow feet.
More example sentences
- Heliornis fulica, family Heliornithidae. Alternative name: American finfoot
- There are trumpeters, cariamas, and the limpkin in South America; sungrebes in South America, Africa, and southeastern Asia; and mesites on Madagascar.
- This family consists of three species, two types of finfoot and the sungrebe of tropical America.
- The sungrebe is a New World species found in parts of Mexico and through most of Central and South America.