- Retire (someone) with a pension: his pilot’s licence was withdrawn and he was superannuatedMore example sentences
- Soon after superannuating at the UN, Reddy wrote a paper on India and South Africa.
- Pirate radio was about to be superannuated by the BBC shake-up that would give rise to Radio One.
- More example sentences
- Distinction awards and discretionary points, which provide £170m a year in superannuable bonus payments for senior doctors, will be merged into a single, more graduated scheme with increased funding.
- The difference between the two is that military salary is superannuable.
mid 17th century: back-formation from superannuated, from medieval Latin superannuatus, from Latin super- 'over' + annus 'year'.
More definitions of superannuateDefinition of superannuate in:
- The US English dictionary