Definition of superbug in English:
1A strain of bacteria that has become resistant to antibiotic drugs.
- And scientists in the UK are looking for new ways to deal with antibiotic resistant hospital superbugs.
- After hearing evidence from the World Health Organisation and others in 1997, the EU banned avoparcin because of fears about resistant superbugs spreading from poultry to humans.
- It has helped us to understand why medicines do not always work as we might hope, why irresponsible use of antibiotics has bred superbugs, how the AIDS virus does its terrible work.
1.1An insect that is difficult to control or eradicate, especially because it has become immune to insecticides.
- The emergence of such superbugs, which experts have long predicted, poses a grave threat.
- As for superbugs - agricultural pests or bacteria that have become immune to pesticides or antibiotics from overuse - he says inadequate effort has been made to detect them.
Definition of superbug in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan