Definition of superconductor in English:
1A substance capable of becoming superconducting at sufficiently low temperatures.
- A computational search is well under way for superconductors with higher critical temperatures than substances already found in the laboratory.
- Visitors can look at mono-crystals used for optics and electronics, biomaterials and superconductors.
- And superconductive material is the opposite of an insulator: an insulator stops electricity, but a superconductor will allow electricity to flow freely through them.
1.1A substance in the superconducting state: as they are cooled through a critical temperature, they suddenly become superconductors
More example sentences
- Squid is an acronym for Superconducting Quantum Interference Device, a method developed to detect tiny fluctuations in magnetic fields using a superconductor cooled by liquid helium.
- These superconductors usually contain more oxygen atoms than predicted by valence theory.
- Unfortunately, the predictions were overly optimistic and there are many inherent problems that must be overcome before the full potential of ceramic superconductors is realized.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India