Definition of superheat in English:
1Heat (a liquid) under pressure above its boiling point without vaporization.
- Water below the surface is not directly exposed to the atmosphere and can remain a liquid as it superheats above this temperature.
- The nonstop operation also tends to superheat oil used in equipment, breaking down its viscosity.
1.1Heat (a vapour) above its temperature of saturation: (as adjective superheated) superheated steam
More example sentences
- It is common ground that superheating of the fuel gas was necessary.
- For decades, steelmakers have used highly polluting ovens to turn powdery coal and iron ore into chunks called coke and sinter, which are melted with superheated air to make iron.
- They processed starch and an oil, such as soy oil, together in superheated steam under pressure and noted the unusual nature of a gel that came out of the jet cooker.
noun[mass noun] Back to top
The excess of temperature of a vapour above its temperature of saturation.
- Mold conditions, pouring rate, and other process variables being equal, the fluidity of commercial gray irons depends primarily on the amount of superheat above the freezing temperature (liquidus).
- More importantly, propane will vaporize and absorb superheat at low ambient temperatures - not possible with water.
- The gas from the two dedicated Zechstein wells is currently of sufficiently high pressure to drive the turbine. A fuel gas heater is being used to supply superheat to the gas.
- Example sentences
- Firstly, they were in regular service for 20 years with nothing more drastic than the provision of standard boilers and superheaters.
- Larger superheaters and eventually double chimneys were aids to improved performance over the years.
- At a convenient high point above the water level is the regulator valve, which admits steam to a main steam pipe carrying it forward to the smokebox and then through the superheater, and so to the cylinders.
Definition of superheat in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan