Definition of superhelix in English:
noun (plural superhelices)Biochemistry
A helical structure formed from a number of protein or nucleic acid chains which are individually helical.
- The crystal structure reveals a novel supercoil structure in which four parallel WAT chains form a left-handed superhelix around an antiparallel left-handed proline rich attachment domain helix resembling polyproline II.
- Consequently, they proposed a compact structural motif for the entire peptide in which the [beta] sheet structure of the superhelix is a sheet with three strands connected by two turns.
- Apart from its effect on the molecular free energy, the topological constraint determines the total length and diameter of the superhelix, and hence, the volume excluded to another supercoil.
- Example sentences
- Its major biological role in the bacterial cell is the removal of excessive negative supercoils from DNA to maintain the DNA at optimal superhelical density along with DNA gyrase.
- Based on our previous work on superhelical DNA and polynucleosomes, it reintegrates aspects of the ‘solenoid’ and the ‘zig-zag’ models.
- Intriguingly, experiments show clear differences in the dependence of the formation of paired hix sites and of the formation of the invertasome on the superhelical density [sigma] of the DNA substrate.
Definition of superhelix in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.