Definition of superhighway in English:
1North American A dual carriageway with controlled access.
- There were still some functioning ones on interstate superhighways running through the Southwest and Midwest Sectors.
- In the US and Europe, we're used to electricity at the flick of a switch, clean water from the kitchen faucet, high-speed rail, and well-paved superhighways traveled by giant, refrigerated trucks.
- Americans think gridlock results from merging, entering and exiting traffic, or from ‘gaper blockings’ at accident sites on superhighways, and the like.
2 (also information superhighway) An extensive electronic network such as the Internet, used for the rapid transfer of information such as sound, video, and graphics in digital form.
- This is because the Internet is the information superhighway and most people use it for information of some sort.
- The Internet merely as an information superhighway along which an advertiser sticks virtual billboards missed one of the most important aspects of the Internet: its ability to work as a one-to-one medium.
- Our research team has undertaken the first comprehensive study of child pornography on the information superhighway, and let me tell you: Perversion has gone digital, and we need to penetrate this problem now.
Definition of superhighway in:
- US English dictionary