Definition of superior court in English:
1(In England) a higher court whose decisions have weight as precedents and which is not subject to control by any other court except by way of appeal.
- It will be clear from my decision that I have held the original decision of the DSS to have been correct and that the claimant's various applications to the superior courts were misconceived.
- The Courts and Legal Services Act 1990 had extended rights of audience in the superior courts to solicitors and section 62 recognised that they should in that capacity have whatever immunities were enjoyed by barristers.
- It has been for a great number of years the unvaried practice of the learned judges of the superior courts strongly to advise a jury never to convict any man upon the evidence of an approver alone.
2(In some states of the US) a court of appeals or a court of general jurisdiction.
- This unification process transferred many of the tasks formerly performed by the municipal courts to the superior courts and streamlined judicial business overall.
- Because of my testimony, Gregory Junior Patterson will be spending the rest of his life in jail with no right to make appeal in a superior court.
- Do you know how long it takes to become a qualified judge of a county superior court?
Definition of superior court in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan