- Denoting or relating to an extremely high-security prison or part of a prison, intended for particularly dangerous prisoners.More example sentences
- The Obama administration has promised to put a second security fence around the already super max facility.
- Joshua Dratel, his lawyer, said the rejection was an example of the harsh conditions imposed on inmates at the supermax prison.
- Kaczynski is serving a life sentence without the possibility of patrol at a supermax prison in Colorado.
nounBack to top
- A supermax prison.More example sentences
- That hardly applies to the prisoners held in America's supermaxes.
- I shouldn't even be in super max.
- But the whole idea that they could effectively organize while a prisoner at a supermax is a little hard to understand.
1970s: shortened from super-maximum, i.e. 'greater than the expected or conventional maximum'.
More definitions of supermaxDefinition of supermax in:
- The US English dictionary