Definition of supersede in English:
- She commonly depicts family gatherings, people sitting around a table in a restaurant, folks frolicking at the beach, children playing and people traveling; groups supersede the individual.
- Be careful to note in this clause that the will supersedes all previous wills, making them null and void.
- When two agendas and artists clash or collaborate in this fashion, we habitually expect an outcome that is either victorious or successive, in the sense that one supersedes the other.
The standard spelling is supersede rather than supercede. The word is derived from the Latin verb supersedere but has been influenced by the presence of other words in English spelled with a c, such as intercede and accede. The c spelling is recorded as early as the 16th century; although still generally regarded as incorrect, it is now entered without comment in some modern dictionaries.
- Example sentences
- This makes the task of its supersession a daunting one.
- It was not the supersession of one or several sovereignties by a single sovereignty, but a division and sharing of sovereignty.
- If you are an inveterate avant-gardiste, you need a quick supersession of new ideas, or ideas that look new, to replace what fate and chance have forced you to abandon; and there is a natural limit to the search for novelty.
Late 15th century (in the sense 'postpone, defer'): from Old French superseder, from Latin supersedere 'be superior to', from super- 'above' + sedere 'sit'. The current sense dates from the mid 17th century.
Words that rhyme with supersedeaccede, bead, Bede, bleed, breed, cede, concede, creed, deed, Eid, exceed, feed, Gide, God speed, greed, he'd, heed, impede, interbreed, intercede, Jamshid, knead, lead, mead, Mede, meed, misdeed, mislead, misread, need, plead, proceed, read, rede, reed, Reid, retrocede, screed, secede, seed, she'd, speed, stampede, steed, succeed, Swede, tweed, weak-kneed, we'd, weed
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.