Definition of supersymmetry in English:
noun[mass noun] Physics
A very general type of mathematical symmetry which relates fermions and bosons.
- With supergavity, we have the interesting possibility of breaking supersymmetry through gravitational couplings.
- When supersymmetry is broken, the fermions and bosons don't exactly match any more, the cancellation doesn't occur any more.
- Uniting these two different symmetries is highly nontrivial and leads us directly to supersymmetry and superstrings.
- supersymmetric adjective
- Example sentences
- In little-Higgs theories this symmetry, the analogue of symmetry between bosons and fermions in supersymmetric theories, is a so-called nonlinearly realized symmetry.
- One of the reasons particle and string physicists have liked supersymmetric theories is that they predict zero total vacuum energy, because the fermion and boson vacuum energies cancel each other out.
- In supersymmetric theories all bosons have a fermionic superpartner and vice versa.
Definition of supersymmetry in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.