Definition of supplant in English:
Supersede and replace: domestic production has been supplanted by imports and jobs have been lost
More example sentences
- Most recent anime - and Hollywood movies, for that matter - continually generates two complaints: Style supplants substance and genre replaces originality.
- And he knows that the economic power of capitalism supplants the dictatorial power he envisions for himself.
- I have also seen patternmaking techniques designed to fit the human body supplanted by techniques that maximize fabric usage and ease of production, giving us garments that fit no one properly.
replace, displace, supersede, take the place of, take over from, substitute for, undermine, override
succeed, come after, step into the shoes of
- Example sentences
- Her supplanter ruled well but was overthrown by another.
- Ireland, Scotland, and Wales all provided bases for the defeated of 1066 to launch futile attacks on their supplanter which very rapidly fizzled out.