Providing encouragement or emotional help: the staff are extremely supportive of each other
More example sentences
- The Macmillan nurse who spoke to me later was very supportive and sympathetic.
- How can you be supportive, nurturing and loving if you are competing with your own children?
- Maybe being emotionally supportive to others over the last few days has left me drained.
encouraging, caring, sympathetic, reassuring, understanding, concerned, helpful, nurturing, sensitive;
protective, benevolent, kind, kindly, maternal, paternal
in favour, approving, pro, on the side of;
favourable to, sympathetic to, in sympathy with, encouraging of, well disposed to, favourably disposed to, receptive to, responsive to
- Example sentences
- I am here to tell you what you need to know in order to respond sensitively and supportively to your own introverted family members, friends, and colleagues.
- Management and the board are committed to ensuring that the process is managed as sensitively and as supportively as is possible for all our staff and students.
- The party also kept lists of professionals, such as doctors, senior police officers and teachers, who were not identifiable as Labour party members but could be relied on to speak supportively.
- Example sentences
- One trend revealed by the four surveys is that regard for the supportiveness of local politicians seems to be falling.
- These two variables, which are presumed to be associated with certain parental practices and characteristics such as warmth, supportiveness, and encouragement of independence, have been found to be correlated with health behaviors.
- An earlier study of perceptions of communication competence found that participants linked self-disclosure, supportiveness, and a relaxed style of interaction with effective communication behavior.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: sup¦port|ive
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.