1The highest judicial court in a country or state.
- Each republic had an independent judiciary with a supreme court, lower courts, and a constitutional court.
- The judicial branch includes a supreme court with justices appointed by the president.
- The highest judicial body is the supreme court.
1.1 (in full Supreme Court of the United Kingdom) The final court of appeal in the UK for civil cases, which also hears appeals in criminal cases from England, Wales, and Northern Ireland. It was established in 2009 to take over the judicial functions of the House of Lords.
- The first Rules of the new Supreme Court of Judicature adopted the Chancery practice.
- Overruling the defendants' objection, the Supreme Court of Judicature declared that it is the jury's responsibility to determine the credibility of the evidence.
- Britain's most senior judges are set to move to a new supreme court housed in a former judicial building facing the Palace of Westminster in Parliament Square.
Definition of supreme court in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.