nounBack to top
- 1 Mathematics A surd number, especially the irrational root of an integer.More example sentences
- They were learning about surds in maths, supposedly one of the hardest subjects.
- I don't care about rationalising denominators with surds in them, and I don't care that by using maths induction you can prove many equations to be right or wrong.
- In the conventional school education in India, we are asked to do some problems involving surds (radicals).
mid 16th century: from Latin surdus 'deaf, mute'; as a mathematical term, translating Greek (Euclid) alogos 'irrational, speechless', apparently via Arabic jiḏr aṣamm, literally 'deaf root'. sense 2 of the adjective dates from the mid 18th century.
More definitions of surdDefinition of surd in:
- The US English dictionary