- Relating to the earth’s surface: surficial depositsMore example sentences
- He also led bedrock and surficial geologic mapping projects in the Chugach Mountains of South Central Alaska for five years.
- The most important aspect of the New Jersey research for the Navy is the effects on the acoustics of shallow-water continental shelf environments of surficial stratigraphic development and preservation.
- Another strong argument against the mammoth death-in-the-Flood hypothesis is that the Beringian animals are buried in unconsolidated surficial sediments overlying lithified sedimentary rocks.
- More example sentences
- The chalcopyrite is mostly surficially altered to chrysocolla, tenorite, and limonite.
- Numerous newly collected ‘star cobbles’ from Georgia have siliceous spicules preserved surficially and internally.
- Three configurations of broadband seismic instruments were deployed: a borehole seismometer, a sensor buried surficially in the sediments, and a sensor resting on the seafloor.
late 19th century: from surface, on the pattern of superficial.
More definitions of surficialDefinition of surficial in:
- The US English dictionary