- 1A medical practitioner qualified to practise surgery.More example sentences
- Early group portraits show noble surgeons parading their medical knowledge with elitist pomp.
- Many surgeons working in private practice and in cosmetic clinics would not meet these criteria.
- Patients with jaundice are still most often referred to surgeons, though in practice few require surgery.
Middle English: from Anglo-Norman French surgien, contraction of Old French serurgien, based on Latin chirurgia, from Greek kheirourgia 'handiwork, surgery', from kheir 'hand' + ergon 'work'.
More definitions of surgeonDefinition of surgeon in:
- The US English dictionary