- A gregarious burrowing meerkat with dark bands on the back and a black-tipped tail, native to southern Africa.
More example sentences
- Suricata suricatta, family Herpestidae
- Meet Paris, the suricate, and Mofuli, the rabbit, the zoo's beloved furry friends.
- They also make use of the ‘babysitting system’ like the suricates and show similar social behaviour.
- In South Africa, the suricates breed only in the warmest and wettest months of the year when food is most abundant.
late 18th century: via French from a local African word.
More definitions of suricateDefinition of suricate in:
- The US English dictionary