A red mullet that is widely distributed in the tropical Indo-Pacific.
- Pseudupeneus fraterculus, family Mullidae
More example sentences
- This is an excellent diving location, rich in lobsters, groopers, surmullets and other fish.
- Goatfish sometimes go by the nickname surmullets and their 40 or so species are widespread throughout the tropics.
- Around the steam engine you can usually see two large stone basses, while at the bottom under the stern, there is usually a shoal of large surmullets always rummaging for something.
late 17th century: from French surmulet, from Old French sor 'red' + mulet 'mullet'.
Definition of surmullet in:
- The US English dictionary