Definition of surpassing in English:
adjectivedated or literary
Incomparable or outstanding: a picture of surpassing beauty
More example sentences
- Frequently incorrect, occasionally even inaccurate, he nevertheless stirs orchestras into producing sounds of surpassing beauty, using wildly unconventional hand movements that even he cannot reproduce when not conducting.
- Many people know the story of Padmini, the queen of Chittaur, whose surpassing beauty led Alauddin Khilji, the Sultan of Delhi, to wage a ruthless war.
- They will enter a hall of surpassing beauty, with walls of Douglas fir that flow as elegantly as the lines of a fine instrument, a space as soulful in its way as the cathedral's nave.
exceptional, extraordinary, remarkable, outstanding, striking, phenomenal, rare, great, supreme, sublime, pre-eminent, consummate, incomparable, inimitable, incredible, unrivalled, unparalleled, matchless, unmatched, unequalled, peerless, unsurpassed, superlative, beyond words, beyond description
- Example sentences
- The small pursed mouth was gracefully opened to shape surpassingly sweet words.
- He was always cool - and not because he adapted his personality to meet the definitions of the era, but because he was surpassingly cool.
- This could only be achieved by a surpassingly brilliant editor.