noun(usually surtitles) ( • trademark in the US)
- A caption projected on a screen above the stage in an opera, translating the text being sung.More example sentences
- Projected over several screens, the surtitles use different fonts, with a comic-book typeface for the larger-than-life characters.
- Conceding the point, many opera houses nowadays always flash surtitles above the proscenium.
- The mini-operas are in English, with English surtitles projected on the walls as part of the convention-breaking design that will surround the roaming audience.
verb[with object] Back to top
- Provide (an opera production) with surtitles.More example sentences
- The text is incredibly sophisticated, full of puns and rhymes that make it quite difficult to surtitle in English.
More definitions of surtitleDefinition of surtitle in:
- The US English dictionary