1A rule or aphorism in Sanskrit literature, or a set of these on grammar or Hindu law or philosophy. See also Kama Sutra.
- Shukla says that no existing appendix of the Atharva Veda contains the sixteen sutras, and when asked to produce them, Bharati Krishna was unable to.
- The book, which gives the yoga sutras in Sanskrit followed by a translation and commentary by TKV Desikachar, renowned yoga teacher, was released by actress Amala.
- All Vedantic expositions are commentaries by various Acharyas on the Vedanta sutras.
2A Buddhist or Jainist scripture.
- The scriptures followed by the trainees are the Mahayana sutras, taught by the Buddha and other Buddhist masters.
- As the new sutras multiplied, Buddhist teachers began to compose commentaries and treatises setting forth the philosophical basis of Mahayana beliefs.
- The monks also study various subjects of Buddhist sutra and tantra of both the Ancient and New traditions.
From Sanskrit sūtra 'thread, rule', from siv 'sew'.
Words that rhyme with sutraBrahmaputra
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.