1A plant of the milkweed family, the follicles of which suggest a swallow with outstretched wings, often becoming a weed.
- Several species in the family Asclepiadaceae, in particular the European black swallow-wort (Cynanchum (or Vincetoxicum) nigrum), and the American Asclepias curassavica
More example sentences
- Black swallow-wort is difficult to control and has been noted to invade prairie areas.
- Research shows that the butterfly will cue into black swallow-wort and lay eggs, but the larvae do not survive.
- Where found in Wisconsin, black swallow-wort has spread widely, creating rapidly growing mats of tangled vines.
More definitions of swallow-wortDefinition of swallow-wort in:
- The US English dictionary