(also purple swamphen)
- A marshbird of the rail family, with a purplish-blue head and breast and a large red bill, found throughout the Old World.
More example sentences
- Porphyrio porphyrio, family Rallidae
- At the pond there were a few white-winged terns, a black-crowned night heron, a purple swamphen, and some blue-cheeked bee-eaters.
- Other birds that seemed to be flushed out by the truck were a few moorhens, a single purple swamphen, and a pair of marbled teals.
- Other birds I saw near the pond were coot, moorhen, purple swamphen and a few Gray Wagtails walking around near the water.