Definition of swan dive in English:
A swallow dive.
- Chessa did a perfect swan dive off the diving board into rippling water below her.
- In Tom's World, it's always better to try a swan dive and deliver a colossal belly flop than to step timidly off the board while holding your nose.
- To do the Mountain Pose with Prayer Hands, inhale as you reverse your swan dive, lifting your hands all the way up over your head.
verb[no object] (swan-dive) Back to top
Perform a swan dive: figurative once again the singer has swan-dived into strange waters
More example sentences
- Were it within Blair's gift to serve up the fall of western civilisation on a plate, I might now be debating which bridge I'd prefer to swan-dive off, Blackfriars or Hammersmith.
- It's greatest effect was on the acquaintance who was there to watch over and make sure I didn't swan-dive into the fire.
- You stand on the top, take a photograph of Manhattan, spread out below you, then swan-dive into midair.
Definition of swan dive in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan