noun[mass noun] historical
Self-government or independence for India.
- Gandhi said that he was working for winning Swaraj ‘for those toiling and unemployed millions who do not get even a square meal a day and have to scratch along with a piece of stale roti and a pinch of salt.’
- The influence of Marxist literature led her to become one of the founding members of the Congress Socialist Party in 1934 and the fight for Swaraj also was tinged with a craving for Marxist socialism.
- However all was not well amongst Indians and Gandhi sought to squelch the charge that his was ‘a movement not for Swaraj but Hindu Raj and against Musalamans’.
- Example sentences
- These statements of Gandhi are merely indicative of the thrust of the Swarajist project.
- While in the council, he tried his level best to make a success of the obstructionist Swarajist program.
- But there was left no other option before the British government because the Swarajist party had fully exposed them.
Words that rhyme with Swarajbarge, charge, enlarge, large, marge, raj, reportage, sarge, sparge, taj, undercharge
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.