Definition of sweepstake in English:
1A form of gambling, especially on horse races, in which all the stakes are divided among the winners: [as modifier]: a sweepstake ticket
More example sentences
- With modest knowledge of football form, his computer model was originally built to help him win an office sweepstake.
- Albert took a deep breath and answered as though announcing the result of a sweepstake.
- Some believe in a God who makes traffic lights turn green, who turns lottery tickets into sweepstake winners, and turns rain on a picnic day into sun.
1.2A prize or prizes won in a sweepstake.
- You will also be entered to win one of the sweepstakes prizes.
- The rollout will be supported with radio, print, outdoor and a heavy sampling campaign along with a sweepstakes that dangles prizes ranging from a million dollars to vacation getaways.
- As I sit down to write this column at the end of December 2003, we have received 287 responses - so huge a return that you'd think we were offering some sort of sweepstakes prize.
Definition of sweepstake in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia