Definition of sweet potato in English:
1An edible tropical tuber with white slightly sweet flesh.
- Roasted rabbit, boiled sweet potato and baked pies with vegetable filling are local specialties.
- It may contain veal, beef, or lamb, sliced calf's foot, chickpeas or beans, potatoes or sweet potatoes, green vegetables such as spinach, and always hard-boiled eggs.
- While there isn't any cranberry sauce, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes or pumpkin pie to be had, there is plenty of brandy, gin, and wine on hand.
2The Central American climbing plant which yields sweet potatoes, widely cultivated in warm countries.
- Ipomoea batatas, family Convolvulaceae
- The coast offers good harbours and the coastal plains are fertile, yielding sugarcane, sweet potatoes, and maize.
- Some of her favorite plants for container use include heather, scaevola, sweet potato vine and coleus.
- After middle May the sweet potato plants are in line for setting out.
Definition of sweet potato in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.