Definition of swingle in English:
2The swinging part of a flail.
- A flail is a simple device made up from two pieces of wood a handle or staff about five feet long and a swingle that is about two feet long.
- The handle of the flail was raised until the swingle was shoulder high and then brought down firmly.
- The swingle, half as long as the handle, strikes the grain.
verb[with object] Back to top
Beat (flax) with a swingle: I found a group of bare-armed women under the trees swingling flax
More example sentences
- When it ripened it had to be pulled, cured, seeded, swingled, spun and woven, all by hand, before it was ready to be made into wearing apparel.
- After this comes the scutching, or swingling, which is done by chopping with dull knives on a block of wood to take out the small pieces of bark which may still be sticking to the fiber.
- These were then separately swingled, spun and woven.
Words that rhyme with swinglecommingle, cringle, dingle, Fingal, intermingle, jingle, mingle, shingle, single, tingle
Definition of swingle in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.