Relating to Switzerland or its people.
- Raised in Pennsylvania, he spent the summers in Switzerland with his Swiss architect father.
- In 2001 Switzerland imported Bulgarian goods worth some 60 million Swiss francs.
- Each household has its own favourite recipe, some containing Swiss cheeses that you're unlikely to see outside Switzerland.
noun (plural same)
A native or inhabitant of Switzerland, or a person of Swiss descent.
- The missing are thought to include a Briton, a Swiss, a German, five Thais, two Americans, two Australians and three others.
- The firm was established four years ago by a multi-ethnic trio - a Swiss, a Dane and a Thai.
- A painting may not resonate with a Maori as with a German; a song in Chinese means nothing to a Swiss.
Early 16th century: from French Suisse, from Middle High German Swīz 'Switzerland'.
Words that rhyme with Swissabyss, amiss, bis, bliss, Chris, Diss, hiss, kiss, Majlis, miss, reminisce, sis, this, vis
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: Swiss
Definition of Swiss in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.