1An installation for the manual control of telephone connections in an office, hotel, or other large building.
- The paper also quoted an unnamed American contractor who had prepared a bid to install telephone switchboards at the Qatar base.
- Extra personnel were dispatched to the switchboard, and nonessential telephone calls were rerouted to voice mail boxes.
- Remember when the telephone industry had switchboards and operators?
2An apparatus for varying connections between electric circuits in other applications.
- Switchgear or switchboards can be used as the distribution and overcurrent protection for the system.
- Sailors in HMS Argyll have been praised for their quick response when a fire was discovered in the frigate's forward electrical switchboard.
Definition of switchboard in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.