Definition of switchboard in English:
1An installation for the manual control of telephone connections in an office, hotel, or other large building.
- The paper also quoted an unnamed American contractor who had prepared a bid to install telephone switchboards at the Qatar base.
- Extra personnel were dispatched to the switchboard, and nonessential telephone calls were rerouted to voice mail boxes.
- Remember when the telephone industry had switchboards and operators?
2An apparatus for varying connections between electric circuits in other applications.
- Switchgear or switchboards can be used as the distribution and overcurrent protection for the system.
- Sailors in HMS Argyll have been praised for their quick response when a fire was discovered in the frigate's forward electrical switchboard.
Words that rhyme with switchboardcheeseboard
Definition of switchboard in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan