Be uncertain as to which course of action to choose: Leonard swithered as to whether he should enter the arts or commerce
More example sentences
- It's like the MMR jab, people were swithering whether to go ahead with it.
- So, I'm swithering at the moment about whether I will realistically be able to give up the alcohol.
- On the day she saw the GP, Del Veneziano was still swithering.
A state of uncertainty.
- It's an exhilarating poem with its paradoxical guarantee of risk: there is nothing as vacillating here as a ‘swither’ and it is none the worse for it.
- I pursued my journey to Fulton, and laughed heartily to think what a swither I had left poor Job in.
- They found the office in a "swither," as Harry said, over the revelations of fraud that were coming to light every day.
Early 16th century: of unknown origin.
Words that rhyme with switherdither, hither, slither, thither, whither, wither, zither
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.