- An official who carries a sword for a sovereign or other dignitary on formal occasions.More example sentences
- The more important mayors were treated with great respect, and processed publicly with attendants such as a sword-bearer or mace-bearer; from the 15th cent. those of London and York came to be called lords mayor.
- Two lesser officers are also in evidence, standing in front of Shipward; these are the sergeant-at-mace and the sword-bearer.
- Pembroke had a long and distinguished political career, was sword-bearer at five coronations, and was a keen patron of the arts.
More definitions of sword-bearerDefinition of sword-bearer in:
- The US English dictionary