(also sword-billed hummingbird)
A mainly green hummingbird with a very long bill, found in northern South America.
- Ensifera ensifera, family Trochilidae
More example sentences
- It's known for its great birdlife, with many small flocks of colourful scarlet-bellied mountain tanagers and sword-billed hummingbirds.
- Some, like lancebills and swordbills, can't use them because of bill shape.
- Clearly this is still one of the most important, if not the most important factor controlling bill shape, otherwise we wouldn't have curlews, ibises, sword-billed hummingbirds, flamingos, crossbills, or all those oystercatcher polymorphs.
Definition of swordbill in:
- The US English dictionary