noun (plural same or swordfishes)
A large edible marine fish with a streamlined body and a long flattened sword-like snout, related to the billfishes and popular as a game fish.
- Xiphias gladius, the only member of the family Xiphiidae
More example sentences
- Big fish - like swordfish and bluefin tuna - are attracted to fronts where cold and warm waters meet.
- Other high-mercury fish that pregnant women should avoid include albacore tuna, swordfish, and tilefish.
- Recent studies have shown that marine fish such as shark, swordfish, and king mackerel can also contain high levels of mercury.
Definition of swordfish in:
- The US English dictionary