A live-bearing freshwater fish of Central America, popular in aquaria. The lower edge of the tail is elongated and brightly marked in the male.
- Xiphophorus helleri, family Poeciliidae
More example sentences
- Many fish lay eggs, but some - including common aquarium fish such as guppies, swordtails, and mollies - retain the eggs inside their bodies until hatching.
- Such video techniques have been particularly effective in female mate choice studies in fishes, including guppies, sticklebacks, and swordtails.
- Poeciliids, namely guppies and swordtails, are favorite subjects of sexual selection studies, in particular those concerning mate choice and its role in the maintenance of male secondary sex traits.
Definition of swordtail in:
- The US English dictionary