Definition of syenite in English:
noun[mass noun] Geology
A coarse-grained grey igneous rock composed mainly of alkali feldspar and ferromagnesian minerals such as hornblende.
- The southern Zomba area consists mainly of syenite surrounded by a periphery of alkaline granite.
- A violet, coarse-grained, porphyritic quartz syenite, which makes up large parts of the pluton, was collected for dating.
- The selective removal of these minerals resulted in a change of the composition of the magma to one near that of the rock syenite.
- Example sentences
- Of far less importance are occurrences in gneisses and amphibolites, in small plutons derived from syenitic and gabbroic magmas, and in certain contact-metamorphic rocks.
- In the central part of the intrusion, some small granitic aplite dykes intrude the syenitic rocks.
- Several pools of syenitic magma were separated from the main body of the melt.
Definition of syenite in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan