- Relating to or denoting certain diseases when contracted by wild animals, and the pathogens causing them: an epidemic of sylvatic plague among prairie dogsMore example sentences
- Endangered black-footed ferrets are extremely susceptible to sylvatic plague, a disease that has seriously hampered efforts to re-establish ferrets to their historical range.
- In addition to sylvatic plague, a disease likely brought from Europe by ship rats, prairie dogs have suffered from aggressive poisoning campaigns by farmers and ranchers.
- Diminished prairie dog populations now face the even greater catastrophe of sylvatic plague, an introduced contagious disease for which prairie dogs have little immunity.
1930s: from Latin silvaticus, from silva 'wood'.
More definitions of sylvaticDefinition of sylvatic in:
- The US English dictionary